RSS

August 19, 2010

Happiness

I was making pancakes yesterday...my favorite. And I was totally lost in stirring and smoothing the batter, smelling the vanilla, and feeling the warmth of the stove. Then I realized, at that moment, I was truly happy. And I thought about all the other times I have been truly happy, and those times are almost always when I am cooking (or handwashing my beautiful turquoise Paula Dean pots & pans set). Somehow, no matter what is going on in life, whether I'm worrying about the electrical deposit, budgeting money for milk, or thinking about when I need to do my laundry or clean the shower, I know that I can always stir flour, eggs, and vanilla and I will have delicious pancakes. Sour cream and brown sugar are delicious on strawberries. Boiling butter, cocoa and milk on the stove and adding oatmeal will always give me delicious no-bake cookies. It's cut-and-dried, it's logical, it's consistent.  It's effortless, straightforward, and uncomplicated. I have complete and utter control. It's a few minutes of priceless and exquisite peace. And nothing else compares in this universe.

"Some people like to paint pictures, or do gardening, or build a boat in the basement. Other people get a tremendous pleasure out of the kitchen, because cooking is just as creative and imaginative an activity as drawing, or wood carving, or music."  -Julia Child

1 comments:

Leo said...

<3

Post a Comment

Followers