RSS

October 21, 2009

Put On A Happy Face

"It could be worse. You could be a little Ethiopian girl living in the tundra."

"...Um, Mom...There's no tundra in Ethiopia."

(long pause) "Well, then! Imagine how hard that would be. You wouldn't be used to the tundra."

That was my mom this morning on the phone, in one of her many efforts to make me feel better. That woman is a saint. And, strangely, it did make me feel better. Everyone needs a laugh at 7:30 in the morning.

It really could be worse. I may be hungry after most meals, but I still get to eat. I have a roof over my head, and I can shower daily. I have friends, and a phone to keep in touch with them, even when they're in PENNSYLVANIA. I'm getting 3 A's and 2 B's (though I'm trying really hard to get an A in English).

But it could be better. So I'm going to work really hard on this. I talked to Lakshmi, who, also like my mother, always makes me feel better. And she really makes sense. It's stuff I knew, but sometimes you just need to hear it again. She said that you get out of life what you put in. It reminds me of that quote, "Life is like a piano. What you get out of it depends on how you play it."

So here's to attitude adjustments, smiling, finding happiness in the little things like sitting next to a cute guy, and laughing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers